Be it resolved that computer scientists, engineers, architects, analysts should be licensed by a professional body or able to self-organize into a guild or union so that they have legal and ethical independence from their employers.
Pre-Salon Reading (You could google the questions below.)
What is the purpose of professional licensing? What are the benefits?
What is the purpose of a union What are the benefits?
Vocabulary (You could look up these terms in a dictionary or tools like FLAX or Sketch Engine.)
Accreditation, an accredited organization, an accredited member, guild, unions, Hippocratic Oath, certification, a certified member, professional licensing, a licensed professional, corporate social responsibility, compliance
Discussion Questions (These are questions you can ask me or other guests in the Salon.)
- Should IT professionals be licensed?
- Are IT professionals free to speak up about concerns?
- Have you ever been in a union? Would you want to be?
- Should IT professionals PD hours (like doctors, lawyers, teachers) to learn skills and knowledge they might not get from their employers?
- Would it benefit Canadian society and our economy for IT professionals to take a Hippocratic Oath?